Friday, January 22, 2016

Summer His and Hers Placemats

This week, we were to be inspired to create a quilt by a season or all four seasons.  I selected summer.



I made "His and Hers Placemats" for our camper kitchen table.  The fishing one is for my husband and the blue coneflowers are for me. I can't wait til it is summer again. 

I made a third one for our grandson as he will be spending some time with us at the camper this summer.



I selected a dark brown fabric for the borders for all three of them. I plan to make more before summer.  For this week's quilt challenge I created the "His and Hers Placemats".


I quilted the borders with Wiggle Line Quilting on all three placemats.  I quilted with a small meandering quilting in the main rectangle and the three side squares.


I selected a tan and brown print for the back of all three of them.



I quilted with a dark brown quilting thread on the brown borders and blue and the blue fabric and a cream for the fish and kids fabric,


I had fun taking a few photos with my pretty blue plates.












Then I pulled out a square plate, that I think looked pretty cool on the fish placemat or the His Placemat.


I finished each placemat with a different embroidery stitch on the binding.  A flowery one for mine and a tiny stretch stitch for my husband's placemat and a zigzag stitch on the placemat for my grandson. 


I am teaching a binding class tomorrow in Richland Center, Wisconsin. I call the class:  "All Machine Embroidery Stitched Binding with perfect Mitered Corners".  I will take the placemats as examples for the class on Saturday, along with all my other quilted samples.

Here's how I made my placemats:

Main Fabric: 
        one 11" X 10" rectangle (the 11" side will be horizontal)
        and three 3" X 3" squares

Dark Brown Border fabric:
        two  3" X 1 1/2" strips
        one  10" X 1 1/2" strip
        two  2 1/2" X 14 3/4" strips  (Top and bottom border)
        two  2 1/2" X 19 1/4" strips  (side borders)

The last four border strips can be made longer and wider to make a larger placemat.

Stitch it together in the order of the photos.









I am linking up for Project Quilting over at Kim's Blog - Persimon Dreams for Project Quilting.  Hop over and check out all the quilts for this week's Quilt Challenge.

Another fun Quilt Challenge!

Enjoy your evening!

Marcia


3 comments:

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Marcia, these are beautiful
Thank you for the tutorial. I would love to make a few of these for my friends and family that I love. Yours turned out marvelous

Gene said...

I loved these Placemats, are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing this Tutorial...!

Vesuviusmama said...

I love these! Thanks for leaving instructions - I was just looking for a placemat pattern last night!