Sunday, February 4, 2018

Thread Painted Barn Quilt Made From Photos


I took 3 photos and created a very personal quilt for a customer.  She sent me a photo of her favorite barn. I took a photo of the cupola and bike in her yard.  She wanted a farm windmill with morning glories like the quilt I made a couple of years ago.  I combined all 3 photos to make an art quilt for her.


The 3 photos.

  
Click here to the link to the post about the "If I had a Barn Quilt"
I only took a few photos of the construction. Sometimes I forget to take photos.





I first cut out wheels for the bike from fabric. I didn't like them, so I decided it would be best to thread paint them instead. I used sharpie markers to draw and fill in where I would thread paint it.




Next it was ready to quilt/thread paint.

I used a double batting - 80/20 cotton/poly on the bottom and washable wool on the top. It gave it more dimension for the thread painting.



The day I was quilting/thread painting the Barn Quilt, my husband took a photo of me. I needed a photo to display with my art quilts.



I took several photos of the quilting/thread painting up close. On the first one, you can see my name and the year stitched into the black border.












  










This quilt is on display for the month of February at Old Oak Inn in Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin and then it will go to it's new home of my customer.

This is the sign I have on the quilt:

“Barn Quilt”  28” X 26”
SOLD but you can order one from your own barn photos.
This one was designed from 3 photos – of a barn, 
a windmill, and a copula. 
My original quilt design using photos. 
Freestyle Quilting and Thread Painting by Marcia Wachuta
Crafty Sewing and Quilting  www.craftysewing.com



Do you have a favorite photo of a place or a flower or something? (but not a person) 
Would you like it made into a Thread Painted Wall Hanging?

My email is Marcia@craftysewing.com

Here are a few more posts of photos that I turned into quilted wall hangings.


Click here to see my post about my First Bloom Quilt and how I created it.

It was made this quilt from this photo.




The next quilt was made for a quilt challenge and had to be all BLUE!  I based it on Vincent van Gogh's vase of flowers.

Click here to see the post about "Daisies for Grandmama"
Click here to see how I created my "Blue Carolina Lily Quilt" from a drawing.
Here is my drawing for the Blue Lily.



Click here to the link to the post about the "If I had a Barn Quilt"
Enjoy your day!

Marcia

1 comment:

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Wow. I am completely at a loss for words..........

okay, Marcia, this is incredible and just absolutely perfection